Organic Golden Oyster Mushroom Grain Spawn
|Grow location||Indoor & outdoor|
|Spawn shelf life||4 months (refrigerated)|
|Certifications||USDA certified organic|
|Bag weight||6 lbs|
Our USDA-certified golden oyster (Pleurotus citrinopileatus) grain spawn feature a tropical strain that produces beautiful clusters of bright, jaw-droppingly beautiful mushrooms with medium yellow caps and long delicate stems. A favorite at farmer's markets, they have a mild nutty flavor and aroma reminiscent of cashews. Golden oysters are great for beginners and are reliable indoor year-round producers. If kept in the right conditions, they will yield substantial first, second, and even third harvests (making them an ideal commercial variety!) As a tropical strain, they thrive with higher humidity.
Golden oyster grain spawn can be used for indoor cultivation year round. When used for outdoor cultivation, golden oysters are generally not cold tolerant and fruit prolifically in summer months.
- Golden oyster grain spawn can be used for indoor production using sawdust or straw or outdoors using straw or wood chips. It is also ideal for growing in buckets.
- Do not use grain spawn for log inoculation.
- This is not a mushroom grow kit. Golden oyster grain spawn must be combined with a substrate in order to fruit.
Upon receiving your spawn:
Remove it from the shipping box as soon as possible. Then, unfold the top of the bag, making room for air space. It's also important to check and confirm that the filter patch is not obstructed. This will help the organism breathe and continue to thrive!
Scroll down for specifications, growing, and storage guides.
- Weight: Approximately 6 lbs
- Hydration: Average of 47%
- Bags: Gusseted 2.2 mil polypropylene
- Filter: High efficiency .2 micron
- Inoculation Rates: 6 lb. bag of grain will inoculate between 120-165 lb. sterilized sawdust, and 100-130 lb. pasteurized straw
- Sterilization method: Commercial grade autoclave sterilized
Temperature 65-80°F | 18-26°C Humidity (Phase 1: Primordia) 98-100% Humidity (Phase 2: Fruitbody) 88-95% CO2 Sensitivity (Phase 1: Primordia) <1,000 ppm CO2 Sensitivity (Phase 2: Fruitbody) <1,000 ppm
- Primordia - The earliest recognizable stage of fruitbody development. Also known as “baby mushrooms” or “mushroom pins.”
- Fruitbody - A fully grown mushroom, the reproductive structure of the organism in which the spores are produced.
- CO2 sensitivity - When CO2 levels are too high, yields will decrease, stems will become long and stringy, caps will be small, and/or growth will halt.
Oyster mushroom grain spawn can be mixed into sterilized or lime pasteurized substrates including but not limited to hardwood sawdust, straw, and coffee grounds.
Note: Grain spawn must be mixed with bulk substrate before you can fruit it. If you are new to growing mushrooms, we recommend purchasing a book on mushroom cultivation.
'Growing Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms' by Paul Stamets
'Organic Mushroom Farming and Mycoremediation' by Tradd Cotter
Oyster spawn can be spread in chopped straw or wood chips as shown in the video below! Making outdoor beds is one of the easiest methods for growing any type of oyster mushroom.
For our complete mushroom beds pamphlet, click here.
Be sure to use clean, untreated products when making outdoor beds.
If you don't plan to use immediately, you can refrigerate your spawn for up to 4 months.
Golden oyster mushrooms develop a cashew-like flavor when cooked to a slightly crispy texture. They can easily replace button mushrooms in most recipes and pair well with many cuisines and flavors. Like all oyster mushrooms, they retain water and may develop a viscous texture when undercooked. If you prefer a firm or dryer texture, continue to cook them until their liquid has reduced and cooked off and they begin to brown.
Our grain spawn is USDA certified organic and made using organic cultures from our own culture bank. It contains a blend of locally sourced, organic, and non-GMO ingredients from farms in New England and North America.
If you’re going to consume home-grown mushrooms, make sure to cook your fresh mushrooms thoroughly with heat. If it is your first time eating this species, it is best to start with a small amount to check for allergies, even if cooked.
You may also like
Thank you for submitting a review!
Your input is very much appreciated. Share it with your friends so they can enjoy it too!
Easy to grow, and they grew fast…. Dumped the used bucket straw outside, and got more mushrooms!! Just bought another bag of spawn to grow some more. Great product.
Your grow looks amazing, Timothy! The team is here to help if you ever need anything.
Awesome size harvests
These were just two photos from my harvest two weeks ago! I had a total of 5 cardboard berry boxes taken out of my grow tent. The largest oyster cluster I have grown so far has been a Golden Oyster that was 14.3 oz. They are so beautiful and everyone loves the Goldens! I just bought 3 more bags of Golden Grain Spawn! Cant wait to make more buckets!!!
Thanks so much, Tallia! We really appreciate the kind review.