Organic Black King Mushroom Grain Spawn
|Spawn shelf life||4 months (refrigerated)|
|Certifications||USDA certified organic|
|Bag weight||6 lbs|
Our USDA-certified organic black king (Pleurotus spp.) grain spawn features a strain that produces hearty mushrooms with beautiful brown marbled caps and soft stems. When cultivated successfully, you can expect a large harvest of very meaty and delicious mushrooms. Black kings offer the hearty texture of king trumpets, but the growth style of a regular oyster. They prefer cooler temperatures and are prone to drying out or stopping their growth if humidity is not maintained when the mushrooms are still in their early stages. They require high CO2 to achieve delicate, long stems, but can also be fruited like oysters.
- Black king grain spawn can be used for indoor production using sawdust-based sterile substrate.
- Do not use grain spawn for log inoculation.
- This is not a mushroom grow kit. Black king grain spawn must be combined with a substrate in order to fruit.
Upon receiving your spawn:
Remove it from the shipping box as soon as possible. Then, unfold the top of the bag, making room for air space. It's also important to check and confirm that the filter patch is not obstructed. This will help the organism breathe and continue to thrive!
Scroll down for specifications, growing, and storage guides.
- Weight: Approximately 6 lbs
- Hydration: Average of 47%
- Bags: Gusseted 2.2 mil polypropylene
- Filter: High efficiency .2 micron
- Inoculation Rates: 6 lb. bag of grain will inoculate between 120-165 lb. sterilized sawdust, and 100-130 lb. pasteurized straw
- Sterilization method: Commercial grade autoclave sterilized
Temperature 55-70°F | 13-21°C Humidity (Phase 1: Primordia) 90-95% Humidity (Phase 2: Fruitbody) 80-90% CO2 Sensitivity (Phase 1: Primordia) <800 ppm CO2 Sensitivity (Phase 2: Fruitbody) <800 ppm
- Primordia - The earliest recognizable stage of fruitbody development. Also known as “baby mushrooms” or “mushroom pins.”
- Fruitbody - A fully grown mushroom, the reproductive structure of the organism in which the spores are produced.
- CO2 sensitivity - When CO2 levels are too high, yields will decrease, stems will become long and stringy, caps will be small, and/or growth will halt.
Black king mushroom grain spawn can be mixed into sterilized hardwood sawdust to create beech substrate blocks.
Note: Grain spawn must be mixed with bulk substrate before you can fruit it. If you are new to growing mushrooms, we recommend purchasing a book on mushroom cultivation.
'Growing Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms' by Paul Stamets
'Organic Mushroom Farming and Mycoremediation' by Tradd Cotter
If you don't plan to use immediately, you can refrigerate your spawn for up to 4 months.
Black kings have a neutral and savory flavor that lends itself well to many different cuisines and recipes. When thinly sliced, they will sear nicely in a pan. With some grated Parmesan cheese, extra virgin olive oil, and fresh thyme, they make a great topping for pasta dishes.
Our grain spawn is USDA certified organic and made using organic cultures from our own culture bank. It contains a blend of locally sourced, organic, and non-GMO grains and supplements from farms in New England and North America.
If you’re going to consume home-grown mushrooms, make sure to cook your fresh mushrooms thoroughly with heat. If it is your first time eating this species, it is best to start with a small amount to check for allergies, even if cooked.
You may also like
Thank you for submitting a review!
Your input is very much appreciated. Share it with your friends so they can enjoy it too!