- Pink Oyster Mushroom Spray & Grow Kit
Pink Oyster Mushroom Spray & Grow Kit
|Grow speed||1-2 weeks|
|Shelf life||3 months (do not refrigerate)|
|Flavor profile||Savory, meaty, umami|
|Kit weight||4 lbs|
|Kit dimensions||10in H x 5in W x 5in D|
Why we love them:
Pink oyster mushrooms aren’t just strikingly beautiful. They are also succulent and savory, and are perfect sautéed or added to pastas, pizzas, and more. As a tropical oyster mushroom strain, they thrive with higher humidity and their color intensifies if given adequate indirect sunlight. Given their denser texture, pink oysters make a wonderful meat substitute. If you’re feeling adventurous, you can find recipes that use them in everything from burritos to bbq sandwiches. They even make amazing vegan bacon, too!
Our pink oyster mushroom kits are reliable producers and tend to yield large flushes of beautiful light pink to deep pinkish-red mushrooms when given adequate humidity. With continued proper care, you may be able to get multiple flushes. (We 100% guarantee your first flush of mushrooms, but hope you'll try for 2 or 3!)
That's not mold, it's mycelium!
Your kit includes an amended sawdust block fully colonized with mushroom mycelium. It may appear covered with a soft, white, mold-like substance - that's the mushroom mycelium! It is completely normal. The mycelium of some species is more prominent than others.
1) Inside this box is an amended sawdust block that has been completely colonized by mushroom mycelium. Open the front of your kit along the perforated line and dispose of the remaining cardboard.
2) Slice an 'X' into the plastic underneath with a sharp knife or scissors.
3) Fill the sprayer included in your kit with tap water and spritz the plastic where you sliced your 'X' shape. Spritz your kit at least twice daily - more if you're in a particularly dry climate. (If your mushrooms start to grow but dry up and die, your growing conditions may be too dry and you should make a humidity tent! See instructions below).
4) Place your kit in the most humid part of your home and outside of direct sunlight. We suggest putting it on a kitchen counter close to a sink. The mushroom mycelium will sense the oxygen in the air and produce mushroom 'pins,' another term for 'baby mushrooms.' This will usually begin to happen within two weeks of slicing the plastic.
5) Harvest before the caps flatten out and become concave. Mushrooms grow quickly, so when you spot your first pins keep an eye on them. The warmer the environment the faster they will grow. Mushrooms should be ready to harvest 2-5 days after pin formation.
Do not refrigerate pink oyster kits. If you're not ready to use immediately, your Pink Oyster Spray & Grow Kit stored at room temperature, out of direct sunlight, for up to 3 months.
The classic North Spore recipe is to chop the pink oyster mushrooms and sauté them in a heavy pan on medium heat with butter, garlic, and loads of fresh thyme and rosemary (or whatever other herbs you happen to have on hand!). Cook until the mushrooms have released their liquid, then continue cooking until that liquid has cooked off and the mushrooms begin to brown. This can take from 20-30 minutes. Deglaze your pan with a splash of white wine, reduce once more, and finish with a touch of heavy cream. Season generously with salt.
The spawn used in our mushroom kits is grown on USDA certified organic grain and made with organic cultures from our own culture bank. Our kits are handmade from a blend of locally sourced, all-natural, organic, and non-GMO woods and supplements from farms and forests in New England and North America.
Simply take a trash bag or other loosely fitting plastic bag and put PLENTY of 1/2 inch holes in it (THIS IS IMPORTANT: Mushrooms exhale CO2 and inhale oxygen. They will suffocate themselves if there isn’t adequate airflow! Pink oysters that look stringy or strange are usually growing that way because they need more air!). Spray the slice at least once per day with the included spray bottle. If you choose to use a humidity tent make sure to spray the inside of the tent once per day to maintain humidity.
If you’re going to consume home-grown mushrooms, make sure to cook your fresh mushrooms thoroughly with heat. If it is your first time eating this species, it is best to start with a small amount to check for allergies, even if cooked.
Mushrooms grow spores as they develop. This is a natural means of reproduction. This is when people with allergies or compromised immune systems may want to consider putting fruiting mushroom kits outdoors or in a well-ventilated area. Spores in mushrooms sometimes cause respiratory irritation. In rare cases, spores may also cause irritation for some non-allergic or non-immunocompromised mushroom growers. If you are one of them, it is recommended to reduce the overall spore load by harvesting mushrooms while they are still in their younger growth stages.
You may also like
Thank you for submitting a review!
Your input is very much appreciated. Share it with your friends so they can enjoy it too!
Really rewarding and fun to grow
I received this grow kit as a gift from a friend. The first flush exploded, but my mushrooms were smaller than most, probably due to the cold. The second flush's mushrooms were even smaller. I'm going to use the block to try to feed some more substrate and hopefully get some more mushrooms!
Six times DELICIOUS!(and counting)
This is my second pink oyster kit from North Spore. The first kit produced three times on my kitchen counter,(twice in the first week!) twice outside in the flower bed, and a sixth in my laundry basket filled with straw, before heat became too high and humidity too low. This one is in my new Boom Room, and will be harvested soon, and I am planning to stretch it as far as I can with heat and humidity under control. although satisfied with the results of all the other mushroom kits from North Spore, The pink oyster was the easiest grow, the fastest producing, and the most abundant harvest of all! I can't wait to get them in my cast iron skillet.