Golden Oyster ‘Spray & Grow’ Mushroom Growing Kit
|Grow speed||1-2 weeks|
|Shelf life||3 months (refrigerated)|
|Flavor profile||Sweet, mild, nutty|
|Kit dimensions||10in H x 5in W x 5in D|
|Kit weight||4 lbs|
Why we love them:
Golden oyster mushrooms are aromatic, delicate, and delicious. They also have a hint of nuttiness (similar to cashews) and are beloved by chefs for their texture and flavor. The perfect panko-fried fare, they also pair perfectly with pasta, risotto, noodle stir frys, and more. (We especially love adding them to warm creamy soups, frittatas, tacos, and even quiche!)
Our golden oyster mushroom kits are reliable producers and tend to yield large flushes of beautiful bright yellow to deep golden mushrooms when given adequate humidity. With continued proper care, you should be able to get multiple flushes. (We 100% guarantee your first flush of mushrooms, but hope you'll try for 2 or 3!)
That's not mold, it's mycelium!
Your kit includes an amended sawdust block fully colonized with mushroom mycelium. It may appear covered with a soft, white, mold-like substance - that's the mushroom mycelium! It is completely normal. The mycelium of some species is more prominent than others.
1) Inside this box is an amended sawdust block that has been completely colonized by mushroom mycelium. Open the front of your kit along the perforated line and dispose of the remaining cardboard.
2) Slice an 'X' into the plastic underneath with a sharp knife or scissors.
3) Lift open the top of your box to find the sprayer and instruction booklet. Fill the sprayer with tap water and generously spritz the plastic where you sliced your 'X' shape. Spritz your kit at least twice daily - more if you're in a particularly dry climate. (If your mushrooms start to grow but dry up and die, your growing conditions may be too dry and you should make a humidity tent!)
4) Place your kit in the most humid part of your home and outside of direct sunlight. We suggest putting it on a kitchen counter close to a sink. The mushroom mycelium will sense the oxygen in the air and produce mushroom 'pins,' another term for 'baby mushrooms.'
5) It usually takes 5-14 days for pins to form. Once pins begin to form, mushrooms will grow quickly. So when you spot your first pins keep an eye on them. The warmer the environment the faster they will grow. Mushrooms should be ready to harvest 2-5 days after pin formation.
If you're not ready to use immediately, your Golden Oyster Spray & Grow Kit can be refrigerated or stored in a cool dry place, out of direct sunlight, for up to 3 months.
The classic North Spore recipe is to chop the oyster mushrooms and sauté them in a heavy pan on medium heat with butter, garlic, and loads of fresh thyme and rosemary (or whatever other herbs you happen to have on hand!). Cook until the mushrooms have released their liquid, then continue cooking until that liquid has cooked off and the mushrooms begin to brown. This can take from 20-30 minutes. Deglaze your pan with a splash of white wine, reduce once more, and finish with a touch of heavy cream. Season generously with salt.
The spawn used in our mushroom kits is grown on USDA certified organic grain and made with organic cultures from our own culture bank. Our kits are handmade from a blend of locally sourced, all-natural, organic, and non-GMO woods and supplements from farms and forests in New England and North America.
Simply take a trash bag or other loosely fitting plastic bag and put PLENTY of 1/2 inch holes in it (THIS IS IMPORTANT: Mushrooms exhale CO2 and inhale oxygen. They will suffocate themselves if there isn’t adequate airflow! Golden oysters that look stringy or strange are usually growing that way because they need more air!). Spray the slice at least once per day with the included spray bottle. If you choose to use a humidity tent make sure to spray the inside of the tent once per day to maintain humidity.
If you’re going to consume home-grown mushrooms, make sure to cook your fresh mushrooms thoroughly with heat. If it is your first time eating this species, it is best to start with a small amount to check for allergies, even if cooked.
Mushrooms grow spores as they develop. This is a natural means of reproduction. This is when people with allergies or compromised immune systems may want to consider putting fruiting mushroom kits outdoors or in a well-ventilated area. Spores in mushrooms sometimes cause respiratory irritation. In rare cases, spores may also cause irritation for some non-allergic or non-immunocompromised mushroom growers. If you are one of them, it is recommended to reduce the overall spore load by harvesting mushrooms while they are still in their younger growth stages.
You may also like
Thank you for submitting a review!
Your input is very much appreciated. Share it with your friends so they can enjoy it too!
Golden mushroom kit
Exceeded expectations. Harvest was phenomenal (especially when compared to other kits I have used from other companies). I will definitely order another kit from this company. Very very pleased with service. Company agreed to delay sending out the kit when I realized delivery would fall while I was away during freezing weather. Couldn’t be happier with the company and the product!
Great Mushroom, had the oyster and lions mane mushrooms.
1st flush was awesome. Second flush I don’t think is going to happen. Instructions for harvesting flush 0 and preparing the block for flushes 1,2… would be helpful. Have you thought of coating the block on all 4 sides with mycelium, and then let people rotate the block for a fresh start. I harvested all of the lions mane in one go, and about 70% of the oysters in one go. The remaining oysters dried out and no new mushrooms spawned. The concept is very cool. But for the money, you should be able to get at least two crops. Nice product design.