- BoomRoom Complete Kit FAQ
BoomRoom Complete Kit FAQ
What is the maximum shelf weight?
The maximum shelf weight is 20 lbs. It is important that you do not place more than 20 lbs. of weight on each shelf as exceeding the maximum shelf capacity can damage the BoomRoom and create a safety hazard.
How many fruiting blocks or grow kits will fit into a BoomRoom?
Your BoomRoom can hold up to twelve 5 lb. fruiting blocks or grow kits. We recommend placing two behind the Myco-Mister (bottom shelf), two on the half shelf (above the Myco-Mister) and four on the two remaining full shelves. We DO NOT recommend placing any fruiting blocks or grow kits on the top shelf where the FAE fan is located, as this will inhibit air flow, gas exchange, and spore filtration.
Can I put trays into a BoomRoom?
Absolutely! However, its important you don't exceed the maximum shelf weight limit of 20 lbs. per shelf. We DO NOT recommend placing any trays on the top shelf where the FAE fan is located, as this will inhibit air flow, gas exchange, and spore filtration.
What kind of mushrooms can I grow in a BoomRoom?
You can grow a wide variety of edible and medicinal mushrooms, including Lion’s Mane, Oyster, Shiitake, Chestnut, Pioppino, Nameko, and more. Most of these are grown in bags, but many can also be grown in trays. (Note that each species has different growing requirements and, therefore, cannot all be grown together. For example, shiitake mushrooms prefer cooler temperatures and higher humidity levels.)
Psilocybe* mushroom species such as P. Cubensis can also be grown using trays. However, hallucinogenic mushroom spores are illegal in a number of U.S states. Be aware of the legality in your place or residence.
*North Spore does not condone hallucinogenic mushroom growing in jurisdictions where it is currently illegal. North Spore's products shall be used only for lawful purposes.
Do my mushrooms need light to grow?
Yes. Even though mushrooms don’t require light for photosynthesis (like plants) they still require light to form fruiting bodies. When growing indoors, indirect sunlight from a window should suffice. However, if you decide to grow in a dark or windowless area (like a garage, basement, or closet) you will need to supplement light with a compact fluorescent lightbulb or LED strip in the blue spectrum (above 5000K).
How do I remove wrinkles from the BoomRoom tent?
There are three ways to remove wrinkles from clear vinyl: The sun method, the iron method, and the hair dryer method. Before learning these methods, it's important that you read ALL of the following warnings first:
- Never attempt to remove wrinkles from the BoomRoom tent while it is still on the BoomRoom.
- Because you will be using your hand(s) to smooth out the wrinkles, we highly recommend protecting them with a pair of light colored socks or winter gloves to avoid accidentally burning your skin or causing unnecessary discomfort. (Do not wear bright or dark colored socks or gloves, as this may transfer color onto your tent.)
- If you choose the iron or hair dryer method, you must be extra patient and proceed slowly. Too much heat can result in damage to the tent (like tearing, melting, and warping) and/or cause burns to your skin.
- Because heat is involved with all three methods, proceed without children and/or pets nearby to avoid distractions and/or accidents.
- The smell of warming vinyl can be unpleasant. We recommend wearing a face covering and only proceeding in an area that is well ventilated.
The sun method: On a warm sunny day, lay a light colored blanket or several light colored towels onto a flat outdoor surface -- like a wooden deck, concrete walkway, or asphalt driveway. (Do not use bright or dark colored blankets or towels, as this may transfer color onto your tent.) Lay your clear vinyl tent out flat onto the blanket or towels and let the sun heat it up. Check on the tent every 30 minutes until it feels warm and pliable. At this point, begin running your hand firmly over the vinyl to smooth out the wrinkles. Do this in sections until wrinkles are no longer visible.
- CAUTION: Only use the sun method if you plan to be home for the day and are able to check on the tent in regular 30 minute intervals. Leaving your tent outside all day in the hot sun can cause warping or melting.
The iron method: Place your clear vinyl tent on an ironing board and lay a white or light colored towel over it. (Do not use a bright or dark colored towel, as this may transfer color onto your tent.) Place the iron on a low heat setting and slowly run it across the towel, periodically lifting the towel to see if the wrinkles are smoothing out. Do this in sections until wrinkles are no longer visible. Click here for a YouTube video we recommend.
- CAUTION: Never use the iron on HIGH and never use the steam setting. If the iron is too hot, or if you use hot steam, you may melt the clear vinyl tent and ruin it. It's important that you proceed slowly, and watch the clear vinyl closely to prevent damage to the tent and/or prevent burning yourself.
The hair dryer method: Lay a light colored blanket or several light colored towels onto a flat surface -- like the floor or a bed. (Do not use bright or dark colored blankets or towels, as this may transfer color onto your tent.) Then lay your clear vinyl tent over the blanket or towels. With the hair dryer set on low -- and holding it at least 6 inches away from the tent -- begin blowing warm air over the clear vinyl. Once it's warm warm and pliable, run your hand firmly over the vinyl and begin smoothing out the wrinkles. Do this in sections until wrinkles are no longer visible.
- CAUTION: Never use the hair dryer on HIGH and never place the hair dryer too close to the clear vinyl tent. If the hair dryer is too hot, or if are using it too close, you may melt the clear vinyl tent and ruin it. It's important that you proceed slowly, and watch the clear vinyl closely to prevent damage to the tent and/or prevent burning yourself.
How do I clean my BoomRoom?
As part of the mushroom growing process, your BoomRoom and all of its components will collect spores. We recommend cleaning between each fruiting cycle, or more frequently if there is significant spore build up.
- Filter: To clean, gently rub the surface under flowing lukewarm water until the water runs clear or visible spore buildup is gone. NOTE: After several washes, the filter will begin to degrade. When this happens, you should replace it with a new one.
- Ducting: Use a damp cloth and mild cleanser. DO NOT use bleach or abrasives.
- Shelves & Metal Frame: Use a damp cloth and mild cleanser. DO NOT use bleach or abrasives.
- Clear Vinyl Tent: Use a damp cloth and mild cleanser. DO NOT use bleach or abrasives. After cleaning your BoomRoom tent it can also be sanitized by spraying with a 70% isopropyl alcohol solution inside and out.
- Spore Floor: Use a damp cloth and mild cleanser. DO NOT use bleach or abrasives.
- Electronic Components (FAE Fan, Humidifier & Humidity Sensor): Consult the manuals included for specific protocols set by the manufacturer. CAUTION: Always allow ample time for your BoomRoom components to dry before plugging them back in.
How long does it take to set up a BoomRoom?
Once you have cleared a space for your BoomRoom, it shouldn't take more than 20 minutes to unpack all the components, and 30 minutes to set everything up. We recommend reading the included BoomRoom Set Up & Grow Guide prior to unpacking and setting up to streamlines the process.
Does BoomRoom come with temperature controls?
Mushrooms prefer cooler temperatures with high humidity. For this reason, we did not include a heating apparatus. We recommend placing your BoomRoom away from direct sunlight, and in a part of the home that stays between 60-80 degrees fahrenheit. Any colder, and your mushrooms will stop growing. Any warmer, and your mushrooms will dry out.
How is the BoomRoom shipped?
The BoomRoom Complete Kit is shipped in two separate boxes, which may arrive separately.
Do you ship BoomRoom internationally?
Is BoomRoom shipping free?
What are the BoomRoom dimensions?
Dimensions: 63" H x 27" W x 19" D
What are the FAE Fan specs?
- Pow: 40W
- Cur: 0.13A
- Fre: 60HZ
- Spe: 2600r/min
- Vol: 110v
- Air: 220(m3/h)
- Pre: 150(Pa)
- Noi: 28dB(A)
What are the Myco-Mister Ultrasonic Humidifer specs?
- Power: 22w
- Voltage: 120V/60Hz
- Capacity: 6.0 L
- Noise: <40 dB
- Mist output: Lowest setting 140mL/hr; Highest setting 300mL/hr (+-20%)