- Organic Red Reishi Mushroom Grain Spawn
Organic Red Reishi Mushroom Grain Spawn
|Spawn shelf life||4 months (refrigerated)|
|Certifications||USDA certified organic|
|Bag weight||6 lbs|
Our USDA-certified organic red reishi (Ganoderma lucidum) grain spawn features a strain that produces beautiful, waxy, reddish-brown fruiting bodies that are highly prized for their medicinal properties. Due to its bitter flavor and tough texture, it is not recommended for culinary use. However, it is ideal for drying and making powders, teas, and stocks. It can also be extracted and made into a tincture.
Reishi mushrooms will only produce one flush. If growing antlers, use large grow bags to allow enough space for tall antlers to form. For larger yields, allow the mushrooms to form conks instead of antlers. (This is done by allowing lots of fresh air exchange in the growing environment.)
- Reishi grain spawn can be used for indoor production using sawdust-based sterile substrate.
- Do not use grain spawn for log inoculation.
- This is not a mushroom grow kit. Reishi grain spawn must be combined with a substrate in order to fruit.
Upon receiving your spawn:
Remove it from the shipping box as soon as possible. Then, unfold the top of the bag, making room for air space. It's also important to check and confirm that the filter patch is not obstructed. This will help the organism breathe and continue to thrive!
Scroll down for specifications, growing, and storage guides.
- Weight: Approximately 6 lbs
- Hydration: Average of 47%
- Bags: Gusseted 2.2 mil polypropylene
- Filter: High efficiency .2 micron
- Inoculation Rates: 6 lb. bag of grain will inoculate between 120-165 lb. sterilized sawdust, and 100-130 lb. pasteurized straw
- Sterilization method: Commercial grade autoclave sterilized
Temperature 65-80°F | 18-26°C Humidity (Phase 1: Primordia) 95-100% Humidity (Phase 2: Fruitbody) 85-95% CO2 Sensitivity (Phase 1: Primordia) High CO2, keep in bag CO2 Sensitivity (Phase 2: Fruitbody) <2,000 ppm | keep bag closed for antlers, open bag for caps
- Primordia - The earliest recognizable stage of fruitbody development. Also known as “baby mushrooms” or “mushroom pins.”
- Fruitbody - A fully grown mushroom, the reproductive structure of the organism in which the spores are produced.
- CO2 sensitivity - When CO2 levels are too high, yields will decrease, stems will become long and stringy, caps will be small, and/or growth will halt.
Reishi mushroom grain spawn can be mixed into sterilized hardwood sawdust to create reishi substrate blocks.
Note: Grain spawn must be mixed with bulk substrate before you can fruit it. If you are new to mushroom cultivation, we recommend purchasing a book on mushroom cultivation if you are interested in pursuing this style of mushroom production as a hobby or profession.
'Growing Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms' by Paul Stamets
If you don't plan to use immediately, you can refrigerate your spawn for up to 4 months.
Reishi is bitter with a tough texture. For this reason, we don’t recommend it for culinary use. However, it can be dried and made into teas or powders. It can also be extracted to make tinctures.
Our grain spawn is USDA certified organic and made using organic cultures from our own culture bank. It contains a blend of locally sourced, organic, and non-GMO grains and supplements from farms in New England and North America.
If you’re going to consume home-grown mushrooms, make sure to cook your fresh mushrooms thoroughly with heat. If it is your first time eating this species, it is best to start with a small amount to check for allergies, even if cooked.
You may also like
Thank you for submitting a review!
Your input is very much appreciated. Share it with your friends so they can enjoy it too!
- customer service
- Spawn bag