- Turnip Vegan Organic Lion's Mane Mushroom Growing Kit
Turnip Vegan Organic Lion's Mane Mushroom Growing Kit
|Grow speed||2 weeks|
|Certifications||USDA certified organic|
|Kit shelf life||6 months (refrigerated)|
|Kit dimensions||10in H x 5in W x 5in D|
|Kit weight||4 lbs|
Check the vibes
Lion's mane mushrooms are as delicious as they are healthy. (And they're not just known for looking like a brain -- they feed your brain too!) Lion’s mane makes an incredible vegan meat substitute, with a flavor and texture similar to crab. Plus, it’s an excellent source of protein, essential amino acids, antioxidants, and beta glucans.
This kit is fire
Each lion's mane mushroom kit produces plump, dense, shaggy "pom pom" mushroom clusters. Once activated, the kit should begin to pin in 7-10 days, with the first full flush in about two weeks. ("Pins" are another name for baby mushrooms.) With continued proper care, the kit should produce 2-3 flushes. And once the kit stops producing indoors, it can be planted outdoors for a second life!
Each kit comes with a recipe for Turnip Vegan's Maple Garlic Lion's Mane Skrimpz (a delicious vegan play on the classic sweet and sour shrimp.) But the culinary possibilities are endless!
Want more recipe ideas?
1) Inside this box is an amended sawdust block that has been completely colonized by mushroom mycelium. Open the front of your kit along the perforated line and dispose of the remaining cardboard.
2) Slice an 'X' into the plastic underneath with a sharp knife or scissors.
3) Lift open the top of your box to find the sprayer and instruction booklet. Fill the sprayer with tap water and generously spritz the plastic where you sliced your 'X' shape. Spritz your kit at least twice daily - more if you're in a particularly dry climate. (If your mushrooms start to grow but dry up and die, your growing conditions may be too dry and you should make a humidity tent!)
4) Place your kit in the most humid part of your home and outside of direct sunlight. We suggest putting it on a kitchen counter close to a sink. The mushroom mycelium will sense the oxygen in the air and produce mushroom 'pins,' another term for 'baby mushrooms.'
5) It usually takes 5-14 days for pins to form. Once pins begin to form, mushrooms will grow quickly. So when you spot your first pins keep an eye on them. The warmer the environment the faster they will grow. Mushrooms should be ready to harvest 2-5 days after pin formation.
If you're not ready to use immediately, your Lion's Mane Spray & Grow Kit can be refrigerated or stored in a cool dry place, out of direct sunlight, for up to 3 months.
USDA Certified Organic
The spawn used in our mushroom kits is grown on organic grain and made with organic cultures from our own culture bank. Our kits are handmade from a blend of non-GMO woods and supplements from farms and forests in New England and North America.
Simply take a trash bag or other loosely fitting plastic bag and put PLENTY of 1/2 inch holes in it (THIS IS IMPORTANT: Mushrooms exhale CO2 and inhale oxygen. They will suffocate themselves if there isn’t adequate airflow! Lion's mane that look stringy or strange are usually growing that way because they need more air!). Spray the slice at least once per day with the included spray bottle. If you choose to use a humidity tent make sure to spray the inside of the tent once per day to maintain humidity.
If you’re going to consume home-grown mushrooms, make sure to cook your fresh mushrooms thoroughly with heat. If it is your first time eating this species, it is best to start with a small amount to check for allergies, even if cooked.
Mushrooms grow spores as they develop. This is a natural means of reproduction. This is when people with allergies or compromised immune systems may want to consider putting fruiting mushroom kits outdoors or in a well-ventilated area. Spores in mushrooms sometimes cause respiratory irritation. In rare cases, spores may also cause irritation for some non-allergic or non-immunocompromised mushroom growers. If you are one of them, it is recommended to reduce the overall spore load by harvesting mushrooms while they are still in their younger growth stages.
You may also like
Thank you for submitting a review!
Your input is very much appreciated. Share it with your friends so they can enjoy it too!
Omg I have loooooved this whole experience it’s still ongoing but they are growing beautifully. I can’t wait to try other species.
Your grow looks amazing, Chantel! We’re so glad everything is working out for you.
Easy to grow - tasty to cook
Followed the instructions and grew my own lions mane. Harvested and cooked. So easy. So simple. Will do again.
Your kit looks amazing, Rochelle! We're so glad everything is working out for you.
My Lion's Mane Kit Experience
My experience was very positive! The lion's mane grew and it was so fun to watch. The first thing I ever had grow! I loved the little glass spray bottle it was perfect thank you.
Thanks so much, Tanya! We really appreciate the kind review.
Bought one for myself, and one for a friend. Kits grew fast, and we’re both on our second flushes!
We hope the second flush goes well! Thanks for the wonderful review :)
Love this kit!
The lions mane “skrimpz” recipe that comes with the kit is AMAZING! Kit also produced a lot of delicious mushrooms :-)
If it’s the same genetics at Northspore, you’re gonna love this pack
I’ve never grown any of the pre-packaged kits, but I’ve followed Northstar and their instruction videos mostly from YouTube and their website that I don’t have now. Oh well. these genetics are amazing and so is Northstar, so I guarantee it’ll be great there, lions, mane, genetics or second to none. I followed their video how to make 5 pound hardwood spawn blocks. And I’ve had nothing but success even after three flushes I’m still getting small fruits out of my compost area. These are some photos from the other day when I went out, looked at some of the blocks I had tossed into the pile and they were good size fruits, the biggest being the size of a good size man’s fist, so I was quite happy. I pick them out, wash them off and had them for dinner.