Organic Pioppino Mushroom Grain Spawn
|Spawn shelf life
|4 months (refrigerated)
|USDA certified organic
Our USDA-certified organic pioppino (Agrocybe aegerita) grain spawn features a strain that fruits clusters of snappy-stalked, medium-to-large mushrooms with velvety brown caps. Pioppino is a relatively fast substrate colonizer but can be very finicky, which requires some patience and precision. They prefer cooler temperatures and are prone to drying out or halting their growth if humidity is not maintained when the mushrooms are still in their early stages. However, when they grow successfully you can expect decent harvests of these delicious mushrooms. They do not reliably produce second flushes, but may produce if conditions remain controlled and humidity is correct.
- Pioppino grain spawn can be used for indoor production using sawdust-based sterile substrate.
- Do not use grain spawn for log inoculation.
- This is not a mushroom grow kit. Pioppino grain spawn must be combined with a substrate in order to fruit.
Upon receiving your spawn:
Remove it from the shipping box as soon as possible. Then, unfold the top of the bag, making room for air space. It's also important to check and confirm that the filter patch is not obstructed. This will help the organism breathe and continue to thrive!
Scroll down for specifications, growing, and storage guides.
- Weight: Approximately 6 lbs
- Hydration: Average of 47%
- Bags: Gusseted 2.2 mil polypropylene
- Filter: High efficiency .2 micron
- Inoculation Rates: 6 lb. bag of grain will inoculate between 120-165 lb. sterilized sawdust, and 100-130 lb. pasteurized straw
- Sterilization method: Commercial grade autoclave sterilized
Temperature 55-65°F | 13-18°C Humidity (Phase 1: Primordia) 95-100% Humidity (Phase 2: Fruitbody) 85-95% CO2 Sensitivity (Phase 1: Primordia) <2,000 ppm CO2 Sensitivity (Phase 2: Fruitbody) <2,000 ppm
- Primordia - The earliest recognizable stage of fruitbody development. Also known as “baby mushrooms” or “mushroom pins.”
- Fruitbody - A fully grown mushroom, the reproductive structure of the organism in which the spores are produced.
- CO2 sensitivity - When CO2 levels are too high, yields will decrease, stems will become long and stringy, caps will be small, and/or growth will halt.
Pioppino mushroom grain spawn can be mixed into sterilized hardwood sawdust to create pioppino substrate blocks.
Note: Grain spawn must be mixed with bulk substrate before you can fruit it. If you are new to growing mushrooms, we recommend purchasing a book on mushroom cultivation.
'Growing Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms' by Paul Stamets
'Organic Mushroom Farming and Mycoremediation' by Tradd Cotter
If you don't plan to use immediately, you can refrigerate your spawn for up to 4 months.
Both the cap and stem are firm and develop a crisp and crunchy texture when cooked. They also produce a mild and nutty flavor when cooked.
Our grain spawn is USDA certified organic and made using organic cultures from our own culture bank. It contains a blend of locally sourced, organic, and non-GMO ingredients from farms in New England and North America.
If you’re going to consume home-grown mushrooms, make sure to cook your fresh mushrooms thoroughly with heat. If it is your first time eating this species, it is best to start with a small amount to check for allergies, even if cooked.