- Pioppino Mushroom Grow Kit Fruiting Block
Pioppino Mushroom Grow Kit Fruiting Block
|Shelf life||6 months (refrigerated)|
|Flavor profile||Mild, earthy, nutty|
|Kit dimensions||6in H x 9in W x 6in D|
|Kit weight||5 lbs|
Pioppino (Cyclocybe aegerita) produces large mushroom flushes featuring long stems and small-to-medium brown caps. Their flavor is best described as earthy, nutty, and mild with a slightly peppery-sweet finish. Pioppino mushroom kits, though reliable, may take extra attention and time to produce mushrooms. They prefer cooler temperatures and need constant humidity. Using a humidity tent or humidity-controlled fruiting chamber will help mitigate moisture issues as long as there is proper fresh air exchange.
Our mushroom fruiting block kits are fully colonized and ready to grow.
Your fruiting block kit is an amended sawdust block that has been colonized by mushroom mycelium. Mushrooms need adequate humidity and ventilation to survive and thrive, so proper care is important.
1. Your pioppino mushroom fruiting block is an amended sawdust block that has been completely colonized by pioppino mycelium. Before opening your bag at all, you should observe your block closely through the plastic. You want to watch for the development of baby pioppino mushrooms (called pinsets by mushroom growers). Let your block pin extensively on top before opening the bag. When pins are 1-2 inches tall, cut off the top of the bag leaving a 4-6 inch collar.
2. Place your sliced bag in your BoomRoom or the most humid part of your home and outside of direct sunlight (ie. on a kitchen counter somewhat close to a sink). If you are not using a humidification system, maintain humidity by spraying the outside of your block with water at least once per day.
3. If your home is very dry, and you do not have a humidity-controlled grow chamber, you may need to make a humidity tent to place over the over fruiting block. To do this, find a loose-fitting plastic bag and make plenty of ½-inch holes all over it. Then place it over the fruiting block (that is still inside it’s original bag). Once you’ve made the humidity tent, be sure to spray the inside of it a minimum of once per day.
4. With proper care, after 5 to 10 days of pin formation, your mushrooms should be ready to harvest.
5. Watch to make sure that your mushrooms don’t begin look “stringy” while growing. If this happens, they require more oxygen. Make sure they are in a spot with adequate ventilation and aren’t too close to other mushroom fruiting blocks or kits.
6. Harvest your mushrooms when they resemble the mushrooms in the photographs, before the caps flatten out and become concave.
Each subsequent harvest will be smaller in size, but can still produce a nice flush. Before trying for another flush, give your block a one-week break from spraying, then soak it in cold water for 20 minutes, and re-start daily water spraying.
Fruiting Temps 55-65 degrees F CO2 Sensitivity <2000 ppm
If you don't plan to use immediately, you can refrigerate your block for up to 6 months.
Both the cap and stem are firm and develop a crisp and crunchy texture when cooked. They also produce a mild and nutty flavor when cooked.
Spawn used in our fruiting blocks is grown on USDA certified organic grain and made with organic cultures from our own culture bank. Our fruiting blocks are handmade from a blend of locally sourced, all-natural, organic, and non-GMO woods and supplements from farms and forests in New England and North America.
If your home is really dry you may want to make a humidity tent to place over your bag. Simply take a trash bag or other loosely fitting plastic bag, put PLENTY of 1/2 inch holes in it. (THIS IS IMPORTANT mushrooms exhale CO2 and inhale Oxygen. They will suffocate themselves if there isn’t adequate airflow! Pioppino that look stringy or strange are usually growing that way because they need more air!) If you choose to use a humidity tent make sure to spray the inside of the tent once per day to maintain humidity.
If you’re going to consume home-grown mushrooms, make sure to cook your fresh mushrooms thoroughly with heat. If it is your first time eating this species, it is best to start with a small amount to check for allergies, even if cooked.
Mushrooms grow spores as they develop. This is a natural means of reproduction. This is when people with allergies or compromised immune systems may want to consider putting fruiting mushroom kits outdoors or in a well-ventilated area. Spores in mushrooms sometimes cause respiratory irritation. In rare cases, spores may also cause irritation for some non-allergic or non-immunocompromised mushroom growers. If you are one of them, it is recommended to reduce the overall spore load by harvesting mushrooms while they are still in their younger growth stages.
You may also like
Thank you for submitting a review!
Your input is very much appreciated. Share it with your friends so they can enjoy it too!
Heavy producer, easy to fruit, and tastey.
My mom bought me this kit for my birthday last year and it was a hit. It did well in my DIY fruiting chamber, and I was able to taste the famous Piopinno for the first time. They remind me of a milder shiitake with a more delicate texture. They hold up similarly through long cooking sessions but give up all their flavor to the broth. Very versatile culinary mushroom from an easy to grow kit.
I bought this block with limited knowledge. The instructions were clear and I saw pins in a very short time. Everyone in the house had a great time watching them grow. I wrote to customer service for help on what the mushrooms should look like when they were ready to harvest. They were very helpful and I am confident that this company takes great care of all their customers. Will buy from them again!
This kit was really fun. These mushrooms changed so rapidly I was amazed. I wasn’t sure when to harvest them so I wrote to customer service here. Louis Giller responded promptly with great advice. He even asked me to send an additional photo the next day to verify that they were ready to harvest. This company really cares about the satisfaction of their customers and the quality of their products.
Forms a wonderful canopy of delicious mushrooms.
My experience with these were awesome grew in 95% humidity to form pins then dropped it to 88% for harvest with plenty of fresh air exchanges. The mushrooms were gorgeous and these are some of my favorite tasting mushrooms. They go great with Pasta and I even pickled some. Highly recommend growing this variety if you can.
I was astonished to see just how many fruits were growing off this block. I top fruited it, but pins were busting through on all sides and just growing like crazy. Clearly, the genetics of this strain is quite good. I had this block in a climate-controlled fruiting chamber, which definitely helped it grow so abundantly. If you are trying to fruit this without a humidity dome/bag or something like that, I would not expect results similar to mine. It's on the second flush right now, and I expect many more mushrooms off this block. They do advise you that it may take 2-3 weeks for them to ship it out. I understand why there is a delay, but I wish it didn't take that long. I gave it 4 stars only because it took exactly 3 weeks for it to ship after I placed the order, which, to be fair, was *just* within their estimate. If it only took 2 weeks to ship, I would give them a fat 5 stars.