Organic Lion's Mane Mushroom Grain Spawn
|Spawn shelf life
|4 months (refrigerated)
|USDA certified organic
Our USDA-certified organic lion's mane (Hericium erinaceus) grain spawn features a strain that produces plump, dense, shaggy mushroom clusters with a consistency and flavor similar to crab meat. This mushroom is highly versatile and can be enjoyed cooked, dried, extracted, or even steeped as a tea! While slightly more difficult to get flushes than oysters, they are great for confident beginners and are reliable indoor year-round producers. And, if kept in the right conditions, they will yield substantial first, second, and even third harvests (making them an ideal commercial variety!) Note that lion's mane can be prone to drying out if the ambient humidity is too low.
- Lion's Mane grain spawn can be used for indoor production using sawdust-based sterile substrate.
- Do not use grain spawn for log inoculation.
- This is not a mushroom grow kit. Lion's mane grain spawn must be combined with a substrate in order to fruit.
Upon receiving your spawn:
Remove it from the shipping box as soon as possible. Then, unfold the top of the bag, making room for air space. It's also important to check and confirm that the filter patch is not obstructed. This will help the organism breathe and continue to thrive!
Second image courtesy of Cleveland Fungi
Scroll down for specifications, growing, and storage guides.
- Weight: Approximately 6 lbs
- Hydration: Average of 47%
- Bags: Gusseted 2.2 mil polypropylene
- Filter: High efficiency .2 micron
- Inoculation Rates: 6 lb. bag of grain will inoculate between 120-165 lb. sterilized sawdust, and 100-130 lb. pasteurized straw
- Sterilization method: Commercial grade autoclave sterilized
Temperature 55-70°F | 13-21°C Humidity (Phase 1: Primordia) 90-95% Humidity (Phase 2: Fruitbody) 80-90% CO2 Sensitivity (Phase 1: Primordia) 500-700 ppm CO2 Sensitivity (Phase 2: Fruitbody) <1,000 ppm
- Primordia - The earliest recognizable stage of fruitbody development. Also known as “baby mushrooms” or “mushroom pins.”
- Fruitbody - A fully grown mushroom, the reproductive structure of the organism in which the spores are produced.
- CO2 sensitivity - When CO2 levels are too high, yields will decrease, stems will become long and stringy, caps will be small, and/or growth will halt.
Lion's mane mushroom grain spawn can be mixed into sterilized hardwood sawdust to create lion's mane substrate blocks.
Note: Grain spawn must be mixed with bulk substrate before you can fruit it. If you are new to growing mushrooms, we recommend purchasing a book on mushroom cultivation.
'Growing Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms' by Paul Stamets
'Organic Mushroom Farming and Mycoremediation' by Tradd Cotter
If you don't plan to use immediately, you can refrigerate your spawn for up to 4 months.
Its unique flavor and consistency make it ideal as a seafood substitute in recipes. We like to slice it into rounds and pan-fry it in olive oil or butter. We also recommend ripping it up and making vegan or vegetarian crab cakes with it. You can find some amazing recipes online!
Our grain spawn is USDA certified organic and made using organic cultures from our own culture bank. It contains a blend of locally sourced, organic, and non-GMO ingredients from farms in New England and North America.
If you’re going to consume home-grown mushrooms, make sure to cook your fresh mushrooms thoroughly with heat. If it is your first time eating this species, it is best to start with a small amount to check for allergies, even if cooked.