- Organic Beech Mushroom Grain Spawn
Organic Beech Mushroom Grain Spawn
|Spawn shelf life||4 months (refrigerated)|
|Flavor profile||Sweet, savory, nutty|
|Certifications||USDA certified organic|
|Bag weight||6 lbs|
Our USDA-certified organic beech (Hypsizygus tessellatus) grain spawn features a strain with a lightly sweet, savory and nutty flavor, and subtly crunchy texture. Beech is a slow-growing mushroom that is found on beech trees in the wild, hence the name. Native to East Asia, they are perfect in soups, stews, stir-fries, or sauces, and maintain their crisp texture if added as the final ingredient. Beech can be a bit finicky, but generally grows well indoors. They require high CO2 levels to achieve delicate, long stems, but can also be fruited like oysters. They prefer cooler temperatures, and when they grow successfully, you can expect significant and commercially-viable harvests.
- Beech grain spawn can be used for indoor production using sawdust-based sterile substrate.
- Do not use grain spawn for log inoculation.
- This is not a mushroom grow kit. Beech grain spawn must be combined with a substrate in order to fruit.
Upon receiving your spawn:
Remove it from the shipping box as soon as possible. Then, unfold the top of the bag, making room for air space. It's also important to check and confirm that the filter patch is not obstructed. This will help the organism breathe and continue to thrive!
Scroll down for specifications, growing, and storage guides.
- Weight: Approximately 6 lbs
- Hydration: Average of 47%
- Bags: Gusseted 2.2 mil polypropylene
- Filter: High efficiency .2 micron
- Inoculation Rates: 6 lb. bag of grain will inoculate between 120-165 lb. sterilized sawdust, and 100-130 lb. pasteurized straw
- Sterilization method: Commercial grade autoclave sterilized
Fruiting Temps 55-65 degrees F Humidity 80-95% CO2 Sensitivity 500-1000 ppm
- Fruiting - The phase of growth in which visible mushrooms begin to appear.
- CO2 sensitivity - When CO2 levels are too high, yields will decrease, stems will become long and stringy, caps will be small, and/or growth will halt.
Beech mushroom grain spawn can be mixed into sterilized hardwood sawdust to create beech substrate blocks.
Note: Grain spawn must be mixed with bulk substrate before you can fruit it. If you are new to growing mushrooms, we recommend purchasing a book on mushroom cultivation.
'Growing Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms' by Paul Stamets
'Organic Mushroom Farming and Mycoremediation' by Tradd Cotter
If you don't plan to use immediately, you can refrigerate your spawn for up to 4 months.
Beech mushrooms have a crunchy texture that offers a delicately mild flavor that is both satisfyingly sweet and nutty. They may be eaten in clusters or individually separated. To separate, trim off the base of the cluster and they are clean and ready-to-cook. To sauté, melt butter in a small sauce pan over medium-low heat. Add the mushrooms and cook them gently, stirring frequently, until they are tender.
Our grain spawn is USDA certified organic and made using organic cultures from our own culture bank. It contains a blend of locally sourced, organic, and non-GMO grains and supplements from farms in New England and North America.
If you’re going to consume home-grown mushrooms, make sure to cook your fresh mushrooms thoroughly with heat. If it is your first time eating this species, it is best to start with a small amount to check for allergies, even if cooked.
You may also like
Thank you for submitting a review!
Your input is very much appreciated. Share it with your friends so they can enjoy it too!
All good so far!
Got the Beech mushroom spawn bag and it appeared to be roughly 80% colonized upon arrival. Broke it up, let it fully colonize, and its doing its thing in the monotub right now! No issues, pretty quick shipping, and a good product!